Thursday 3 January 2008

Question and answer session - IVM information

Dr Junk lent me his notes from a conference on IVM that he attended last year, and I will be returning them to him tomorrow at my visit to the clinic. I thought I should take note of some of the information that I found in the notes to share and also to keep for my own records should I have questions later.

IVM history

  • 1935 - IVM in rabbits (Pincus & Enzmann)
  • 1965 - IVM of human oocytes (Edwards)
  • 1983 - First IVM baby (Veeck)
  • 1993 - Further 4 IVM babies (Cha et al)
  • 1995 - First IVM babys from PCOS (Trounson et al)
  • 1996-2006 - Approx 500 IVM babies born worldwide

Traditional IVF versus In Vitro Maturation (IVM)

Traditional IVF

  • Relatively many oocytes/embryos
  • High pregnancy rate/OPU
  • Down regulation
  • Daily Hormone Injections
  • hCG injection
  • Emotional stress
  • Long treatment time
  • Potential side effects eg OHSS

IVM

  • Fewer oocytes and embryos
  • Lower pregnancy rate/OPU BUT
  • No down regulation, no manipulation of hormone balance
  • None or few hormone injections
  • Reduced pyschological impact
  • Reduced treatment time (2-3 weeks)
  • Reduced interference with daily life
  • No known side effects
  • Lower cost than conventional IVF

Where are IVM and traditional IVF similar?

  • Maturation rate of 70-80%
  • Fertilisation rate 70-80%

Where are IVM and traditional IVF different?

  • IVM has a lower pregnancy rate per OPU due to lower number of oocytes/embryos resulting lower transfer rate
  • IVM has a lower pregnancy rate per ET due to lower number of embryos resulting in lack of selection possibilities, and possibly in a small number of embryos transferred
  • IVM has a lower implantation rate due to lower number of embryos resulting in lack of selection possibilities
  • Success rates are different. IVF has a success rate of around 30-50% (I was told around 50% for my age group - under 30), while IVM has success rate of anywhere from 15-30%.


The IVM Process

  • Day 1/2 Screening ultrasound and endocrine assessment
  • Day 3-7 low dose priming with FSH until the leading follicle is around 10-14mm and endometrium is at least 5mm thick. During an IVM cycle, priming with FSH (150iu for 3 days) is beneficial for women with PCOS, however it has not shown to be particularly helpful for non PCOS patients.
  • OPU occurs, at the same time as sperm retrieval.
  • While the eggs are matured in the lab, you will need to prepare your body for the transfer. Estrogen tablets are taken from OPU, and progestrone pessaries used from transfer.
  • Egg transfer takes place anywhere from 2-5 days depending on clinics protocol (mine prefers to go to blastocyst so 5 day transfer)

IVM Pregnancies - what to expect?

  • Gestational diabetes (7.5%)
  • Hypertension
  • Preeclampsia (17% - Quite scary!)
  • Delivery by caesarian section (33-46%)


Sorry if that was just a huge amount of information to take in at one sitting but I wanted to make sure I took the time to record everything for future reference.

3 comments:

  1. hi there, I was touched by your ttc journey. Such and emotionally exhausting process when things aren't working out.
    I don't want to seem overbaring, and some people don't believe in chinese medicines, but if you're open to it, have a look at acupuncture and traditional chinese medicine for fertility. The success rates are very promising and can help your reproductive system to prepare for ivf/ivm or other ART. a large percentage fall pregnant naturally before they even try ivf/ivm again. I do not have PCOS, but I have other reproductive issues that have greatly improved in the few months of fertility acupucture treatment, I feel much better and see results that my western doctors have not been able to achieve as yet. Articles indicate that in some cases ART is unsuccsessful because of other underlying conditions that do not always show up on western tests and using Traditional chinese medicine and acupuncture with ART can improve the success rate dramatically. If you search on line for IVF + ACUPUNCTURE + FERTILITY, you will find some info and it's worth a read. I have not conceived as yet, but many others have, and seeing the huge improvement in my cycle and hormone levels has restored our hope. Good luck with your journey, I wish you and your husband every success... AN - Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. You are incredibly brave, dedicated and deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Rebecca!
    I've been on this painful journey for the past 13 years. My husband and I are finally starting to get some answers and made our first unsuccessful IVF attempt last December.
    I'm now looking into IVM, so I can't begin to tell you how helpful your posting has been.
    Have you been tested for Killer Antibodies? It is a test for an overly aggressive immune system that attacks embryos.
    Also, I've been doing a lot of reading on DNA tests for sperm. We are looking into trying that.
    Toni from Texas

    ReplyDelete