Thursday 24 January 2008

Absolutely furious!

I am so freakin angry right now. As per my post yesterday, I have been trying to get in a more positive frameset by looking at baby things again, so when we did our grocery shopping tonight, I picked up the Woolworths 'Australian Parents' magazine to have a read of tonight. What a fucking joke. There is an opinion piece by self professed "fertility goddess" Allison Rushby, about infertile women. The article is titled 'Goddess v Goddess', and one page is from the perspective of a fertile women, Allison, and the other is by Jodi Panayotov, a lady who has been through infertility.

Let me highlight some quotes from the article:

"The inferility goddesses may have snazzy Mercedes convertibles, but I'm hardly going to ask them to keep them garaged at all times just because I fancy having one too."

"Yes I'm fertile. Disgustingly fertile. I'm a fertility goddess. But please don't ask me to apologise for it"

She mentions her "hard working ovaries", and how a friend didn't reveal she was pregnant until (gasp) 22 weeks because her sister-in-law was in the middle of her third IVF cycle. But who made the decision not to say anything? The friend did, not the woman doing IVF. But we are fair game, so lets just blame the infertile woman.

Also that she was the 'spring chicken' in her obstetrician room at age 29, because women "decide to focus on their careers, or come to the conclusion, year after year, that it just isnt the right time". Because of course age is the only factor in infertility isn't it. The guys have nothing to do with, neither does PCOS, endometriosis, or any other cause. Nope it's all because we waited too long, we are all selfish career and money obsessed women. Apparently "if we spent as much time planning out families as we spend planning our mortgages, we wouldn't be in this mess".

I don't know if Jodi who was writing from the infertile perspective got to read the smug fertile's vicious attack, but her article felt really quite weak compared to it. She did make some good points, but her analogy of eating a hamburger after not eating for days, for me doesn't even compare to infertility. Some of the article was self-promotion for her book, at one point she berated infertiles for not telling people about their infertility, letting people know that you are going through IVF, or that you have been trying for a baby for a while. And then she defends older women who have troubles with infertility, which I understand why she did it, but it just adds credibility to the 'other side's' argument that it is 'their own fault'.

I am so riled up at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I don't bother reading any baby magazines anymore, I can't be bothered with that crap.

    Try to ignore it hun and think about the wonderful possibility that you've got something hatching inside.

    Take care
    Gwen.xx

    ReplyDelete