Thursday 3 January 2008

IVM has begun!

We have officially begun our first In Vitro Maturation (IVM) cycle. Murray and I are sooooo excited, I am jumping out of my skin this morning! I spoke to Dr Junk this morning who is happy for us to start, AF arrived this morning which means all systems are go. I have to go to the clinic tomorrow morning for my Day 2 Ultrasound & Blood test combo - Hopefully the evil vampire nurse has moved along already!

A big part of the excitement is that we are trying something new, something thats not widely used, and most importantly to me, something that doesn't involved me having to sniff or give myself a billion and one injections! I only have to have three days of injections which is to prime my ovaries for OPU. While the priming doesn't make a difference to the success rate for IVM, it does make oocyte pick up a LOT easier because the eggs are that little bit bigger and easier to get. Apparently IVM OPU is more painful than normal IVF OPU because the eggs are smaller and trickier to get out, you need to pierce the ovary wall more times etc. Am not really looking forward to that part of it all, but at least I know about it upfront.

No more of this springing stuff on me. Having our cycle cancelled last time completely broke me down because it wasn't something that I thought was even possible. I am prepared for this not to work. It will hurt if it doesn't result in a BFP, but I know that it could happen. But at least we will be trying and I am going to do everything within my power to help us have our baby :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting Bec. All the very best with it :) I'll be keeping an eye on your travels.

    Gwen.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. my heart goes out to you! please don't give up hope :) i am going through a similar situation and it is so hard! i wish you luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete