Wednesday 7 November 2007

IVM

We have decided to begin this new treatment next year called IVM or In Vitro Maturation. The idea behind IVM is that you retrieve the immature follicles at the beginning of your cycle and grow them in the lab for a couple of days, use ICSI on them and then put them back. This is a Canadian clinics website which explains a bit about IVM - http://www.mcgillivf.com/e/McGillIVF.asp?s=1012541109340DEA&page=184.186.212

We made the decision for a number of reasons.

**It is a cheaper option than IVF which allows us to do more cycles if necessary.
**It's relatively quick, no down-reg cycle taking 6 weeks and then a break in between, the whole process takes well under a month and you can start again the next cycle if you are unsuccesful.
**The embryologist at our clinic is one of the experts in the field and really knows what he is doing. Dr Junk has been in close contact with the Canadian researchers who developed this practice and he did his PhD on this topic.
**Minimal injections for me - while not a deciding factor, definitely a nice up-side!
**It's unlikely that the cycle would be cancelled, I don't think that emotionally I could handle another cancelled cycle like last time.

We have an appointment booked with Dr Junk for December 10, hopefully he can give us a bit more information about it all and then we can book in to start in January!

3 comments:

  1. I saw a request over on the Lost and Found/Connections for folks who'd done IVM. I didn't do it myself but had a consult with McGill several years ago. I do think it sounds great. There was a blogger who did a cycle (or two?) but she's not blogging any more.

    Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just starting to think about IVF, and I'm glad there's yet another option. I was such a strong responder to Clomid (four mature follicles with just 50mg) that I worry about OHSS. One of the joys of PCOS, I guess.

    I hope your consult goes well and that you come away with a decision, whether for IVM, another IVF, or whatever is the right thing for you. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited you're trying this!

    I wish I had more info for you, but I'm looking at this as my next option, too.

    You're a trailblazer!

    ReplyDelete