Monday 5 November 2007

FS Appointment

We had our appointment with our FS today which went well I think. Straight off the bat she said "Well that didn't go the way we planned, did it!" Probably the understatement of the century! She didn't really go into why the cycle was cancelled, just that we have to be really careful becaue of my PCOS. She gave us three options that we can try.

First Option - give IVF another go, start on a little bit higher dose (she mentioned 150iu which I thought was still quite low?) and see how we go, but be prepared for the possibility of another cancelled cycle from either under-stimulating or getting OHSS. Odds are around 50% success rate but thats if the cycle doesn't get cancelled which there is probably a fair chance of happening.

Option Two - Have Ovarian drilling done. To behonest this is the first time I have ever heard of this so am going to have to do some research and find out more about it, but I would prefer not to have an operation when it's not going to make that much of a difference.

Option Three - Try a new procedure called IVM or In Vitro Maturation. I actually read an article about this a couple of weeks back about the first British women who has given birth using this technique. It's really suited towards PCOS sufferers, and it just so happens that our scientific director did his PhD on the subject and is the Australian expert in the field. Apparently Canada is the world leader and he has been liasing with them for a while, so far four women have had babies from this treatment at our clinic, which is a success rate of around 25%. But definitely no cancelled cycles with this treatment which is great! The cost is the same as IVF.

I'm feeling a little confused by all the options, am off to do some more research on it all!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I have never heard of option number three. I will have to keep that in mind if IVF doesn't work for me. Honestly, my biggest fear is that my PCOS will cause several cancelled cycles. I hate PCOS!

    ReplyDelete