Sunday 30 May 2010

How much to share?

Melissa recently wrote a post on the stuff we write on our blogs, and more importantly, what we leave out.
I am a sharer in real life and have always wanted to put my 'real' self into my blog. I have never hidden my identity (without handing out my address and credit card details on a silver platter!), and am very honest about my feelings and stuff that I have been through.

Part of that is because I want other people to learn about infertility and the real impact it has on people. It's not something that should be hidden away. There should be far more education around, and even more than that, it should be something that people are compassionate about.

But the other reason why I am so open is that I am different. I have always felt out of place in the world. I've never been the popular girl, the one with all the friends. I like to read books, talk about politics, ponder on the worlds mysteries and dream of anything and everything. I have been through depression and anxiety, come out the other end and then gone back into it. I have family issues like you wouldn't believe. I'm infertile. I've lost babies. I want to share because I want someone to care. I want people to understand how I feel and really 'get' who I am. And I want other people to share as much as I do.

While I share a lot of me, recently I have had to make a decision not to share certain things. This is incredibly difficult for me. I treat my blog like my journal a lot of the time - an outlet for me to talk (type) things over and release the emotion associated with it. Blogging the details of my Dads trial, or my brothers issues affects more than just me which means more self-editing on my part. I hope you understand.

2 comments:

  1. I feel so honoured that you have been willing to share so much of your journey with me Bec, but I also totally get why there are certain things that you feel you need to censor. That is why my blog is invite only, I just feel so vulnerable otherwise.

    I check in on you often, hoping and praying that one day I will be greeted with the greatest news I could clamp my eyes on. That day, I hope, will come soon. I have never met you IRL but I care so much about you, our journeys have taken different paths but we still know the same grief. I am grateful that we have been able to share and support each other so much.

    xo Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my real life I was an open book until IF, and really I'm still pretty open about everything except for our struggles getting pg. I started to blog anonymously because being a teacher I didn't want to be discovered and I also wanted to be able to be as I wanted to be.

    I think that it's okay that you're keeping some things private. We're not here to judge Bec, we're here to support you.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete