Sunday 22 November 2015

Day 18 - Fertilisation results

I'm out of the post-up fogginess from yesterday so can finally sit down and write about how the day went. As you know, we got 17 eggs which is a really good result - I wanted between 10 and 20, and really didn't want more than 20 as that puts me at risk of ovarian hyperstimulation. 17 is pretty much my sweet spot!

We did get some not so great news though. After all of Murray's amazing sperm test results of late, his sample on the day was very poor. Only 0.01% motile sperm was available, which is pretty much non-existent. The embryologist was pretty shocked by the result considering how well he had been doing, but prepared us that we may not get great fertilisation results. We are using ICSI though so obviously that works in our favour.

I rang the clinic this afternoon for our fertilisation results and we had 14 eggs fertilised! 1 egg wasn't suitable for injection, so of the 16 injected, 14 came through which is such a good result.

I had a bit of a chat with the embryologist about options going forward, as the clinic doesn't seem to have all my records from my previous clinic when we used Murray's sperm. We have a history of embryo's arresting from day 3-5, whereby we can have lots still going at day 3 and then nothing by day 5. I'm thinking that a double embryo transfer at day 3 might be our best option, just in case there is nothing that makes it to blastocyst. I don't know, I'm happy to be guided by Dr Williams, and they do allow day 4 transfers which could be a good compromise. I just want to make sure that we get a transfer after all of this.

Photo of me just before egg collection - trying to stay calm!

No comments:

Post a Comment