Monday 10 December 2007

Off to the clinic

We have an appointment with the embryologist at our clinic today and I am freaking out. Dr Junk completed his PhD on in vitro maturation, so I am hoping to get some insight into his thoughts of the process and hopefully throw a heap of questions at him! I have done as much research as I can, even reading all those ridiculously wordy scientific journals and have found out a bit, but I'd prefer to hear it from the horses mouth. After all, he will be the one looking after my little embies!

So here is my question list, from the obvious to the obscure:
  • What is the process of IVM?
  • Timeline of IVM – what day is retrieval done etc
  • I know there are less drugs used but specifically what and how much drugs are involved?
  • Success rates for IVM v IVF, both worldwide and for this clinic
  • Does age make a difference in IVM?
  • Is there a usual fertilisation rate? Ie if we retrieve 20 eggs, how many survive to be fertilised, and how many survive to blastocyst stage?
  • What is the decision making process with trying for blastocyst? ie if we only have a few embryos, can you decide not to go ahead with going to blast?
  • Cost factor – how much? Is it cheaper than IVF, and what medicare benefits are available?
  • Can we keep trying every month (as opposed to IVF where you need to take a break in between cycles)? Is there a cut-off point where you can tell that IVM wont work for a certain person?
  • How does a frozen transfer work with IVM (Is it different to the FET with IVF?)

We have been trying to conceive for 18 months now, and I'm ready to get pro-active again, stop feeling sorry for myself and throw myself back into it all. I really want this baby! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment