Sunday 10 October 2010

Broke flat broke

This is a very difficult post to write for me. We are broke. We have been for a while, but we have a way of living beyond our means, and making it work. Our way of making it work was living on credit. But we have finally realised that have hit the wall and can't keep doing this.

When we first started trying for a baby back in 2006, we were perfectly set up. We had savings in the bank, no credit card debt, a mortgage that was under control. Slowly but steadily we used up our savings, refinanced our mortgage and acquired credit cards. A big chunk of that was for IVF, doctors visits, acupuncture and fertility related treatment, but we also have been on several holidays and live a comfortable life.

Now it has reached the point where we can no longer afford fertility treatment. It hurts to write that down. So we are taking a break. I don't know when we will be able to do it again - it might be six months, it might be a year, maybe even longer. I am hoping that come next March or April we will be in a position to begin IVF again. But for the moment I have to make peace with the fact that I will be left behind. Girlfriends who have that their first child during the time we have been trying, will conceive their second. My sister-in-law will fall pregnant and I will need to cope with the emotions that come with that. In the past I have been able to tell myself that our baby is not far away and that is somewhat comforting. But I can't hold onto that while we aren't doing treatment. Because our child is a long way away. It's not going to happen this year, and it may not happen next year.

We are still pursuing adoption. We had all but decided to let our application expire, but with a lot of prayer, we have decided to continue with the process. I have 95% of our forms complete, and just need a couple of certified documents before we submit them to the government department that looks after adoption. This isn't a quick fix though. While it is great to have something else to concentrate on and put our energies into, we aren't under any illusion that this will bring us our child.

In Western Australia, around 5-10 local babies are adopted each year. At any one time there are around 80 approved couples to adopt those babies, with the number of approved applicants increasing each year. The odds aren't in our favour. While we will continue to pray and hope, we also must also be realistic that adoption is not likely to be the way we complete our family.

I will still be blogging, but there may be longer breaks in between posts. Hopefully you don't get bored of me and stick around, because I have a feeling I am going to need as much support as I can get over this time.

7 comments:

  1. i'm sorry sweet girl. i wish i could do something for you. we experienced this, and have finally climbed out a bit. it's a stressful situation.

    you know, if you ever need to talk, do you have a gmail account? i figure texts and calls to and from australia would be astronomical from utah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pffft @ getting bored, I'll still be here, waiting patiently between posts!!

    As for living beyond your means - we've been doing that of late as well and when I get back from my holiday we're really tightening our belts! The c/c has to be paid off in full before the middle of January so that we can book our next holiday in March! LOL

    Those odds for local adoption AREN'T great but you know what, they're BETTER than I thought they would be hmmmm perhaps it's even given me the kick up the bum I need to do something about it.

    Sending you big hugs as always honey

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetheart I am sorry to hear this news. Of course I'll be here. Post as little or often as you like. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been travelling for the last few weeks so haven't had an opportunity to check in on you. I'm extremely sorry that you and Murray have to put this all on hold due to your finances, but I hope this will be a good opportunity to take some time out and focus on other things so that when the time and finances are right, you can pursue your baby dreams again. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, unable to afford to do the things I want to achieve my much wanted baby.

    Take care Bec, hope to catch up with you sometime soon on Skype xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. *big squishy hugs*

    We can't afford any more fertility treatment until next year at a push, it sucks big time that the cost of IVF is so expensive!

    I am hoping and praying that you get your baby whatever way it happens.

    love lots.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baby will find its way to you. You're definitely not alone. Sending lots of positive energy and support from SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry hun that it has come to this. We had to do the same thing last year. We are going to start back up with our tax refund.

    I am hoping and praying that no matter how, when, or why....your little one will find you!

    ReplyDelete