Saturday 28 August 2010

Advocating for fertility support

I have been thinking a lot recently about what I want to do with my life in a career sense, and also in terms of what legacy I want to leave behind. IVF and fertility treatment has become such a big part of my life and it is something which I have learnt a lot about over the last four years. I want to harness that information and energy and develop even further in this field. I'm not a scientist or a doctor or a psychologist, but one of the biggest things I feel is missing in this area is timely, accurate and insightful information for people going through this process, both at the beginning and throughout diagnosis, treatment and outcomes. I think I can provide that, especially if I specifically look at the local situation in Australia, rather than a worldwide approach.

I've written notes over the last couple of years on what I would want to cover and have chapter outline written, but before I progress to far with my idea, I needed to sit down and decide how I want to approach this. I needed to make a decision as to whether i pursue this purely for altruistic purposes - as an advocate for fertility patients, offering my future services, products and effort for free in whatever spare time I have. Alternatively I could develop this as a business model that could potentially lead to a career for me as a professional advocate for fertility rights, working with major fertility related organisations, lobbying the government, applying for funding and grants, facilitating forums and conferences and creating resources that will help everyone but also provide a source of income for myself. The first option appeals to me and there is a lot less commitment involved, but the second option could potentially fulfill me more - allowing me to put my 100% into something I am passionate about. So I think this is where I am going to head. I am approaching this not just as a labour of love and a way to give back to the fertility community (although it most certainly is that also), but as a potential career path in doing something that means a lot to me.

Anyway enough for now, my ideas are floating around and I am trying to nail them down and really develop what it is I want to do. I have been inspired by a fabulous friend who has her own business and gave me the push I needed to make me really evaluate what I want out of my life and career. Thanks Fee xxx

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so great! Think of all the good you can do. Plus we are much more likely to be successful when we are doing something we have a passion for. Good luck girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea Bec, and I know you would do it beautifully. Treading the infertility path is frightening and lonely, so many people would benefit from someone advocating for their rights.

    xo B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think option two sounds wonderful. You could make such a difference xx

    ReplyDelete