Wednesday 27 August 2008

Today

One of the guys at work at work took me aside and asked me how I was going. It took 10 years for his wife and him to conceive their daughter and they went through a couple of rounds IVF about six years ago to have her.

He was so upset for me, it made me want to cry that somebody was that devastated for me.
I think my friends and family are starting to realise what we have thought for a while now - this may not actually happen for us.

When you see IVF in the media, it's treated like the silver bullet that fixes all but that’s not always the case.

I finally got to see my counsellor this afternoon which was helpful for me, but I didn't really get to talk much about my IVF issues, my dysfunctional family took up most of the talk time.
Once of the things we did discuss was having an action plan for this cycle. The first thing I need to do is rethink the way I am approaching this cycle, stop thinking of this as our 6th cycle but as the first cycle that is going to work. Supposedly the positivity will help me get through it. I'm doing the usual exercise and health kick to get my body ready for the transfer, but I am also going to start acupuncture again. I've been reading quite a few studies recently that talk about acupuncture and the benefits with IVF both prior to and after an embryo transfer. At this point I'll give anything a go! The other part of my plan is to limit the stress around me. Unfortunately I have a stressful job so I'm never going to have it easy, but no taking work home on weekends, and cutting off contact with my brother and the other parts of my family that cause me pain. I can not deal with all of these things in my life at once, so I need to do this for my own health.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your co-worker understood...b/c I have found that even those who have been through this don't always try to console others, unfortunately.
    I hope the numbers game will turn in your favor very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you've got to take care of yourself right now. It's an absolute requirement when you're going through treatment. We IF gals in treatment have no extra strength to bear someone else's bs. Sounds like you're really doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, take care of yourself. I also had a failed IVF and couldn't believe it. Well, not really failed, but cancelled. In my head, it was the same thing.

    I did the accupuncture btw and it was really good for me.

    ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecca, I am an i-do girl who follows your blog. It sounds like the acupunture is a great thing to try. How lovely for your coworker to be thinking of you. Wishing you lots of luck. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over from ICLW. Just focus on yourself and your needs. I know staying positive is SO hard, but it does help. Come see my blog if you can. I am a yoga teacher and I do a lot of stuff on relaxation. Sending you lots of good energy!

    Australia rocks!

    ReplyDelete