Tuesday 18 October 2011

gallivanting

Gallivanting: Go around from one place to another in the pursuit of pleasure or entertainment.

I had written up my blog post for today when I checked to make sure I had spelt gallivanting correctly, and I came across this definition, which I love. We have definitely been off gallivanting!

We are finally back from our two week adventure in Europe, and we had an amazing time. We worked our way from London across the ocean to Holland, spending time in Rotterdam and Amsterdam, and then caught the train down to Paris for a week. Oh Paris! And then back to London for a short while before starting the trip back home (all 24 hours of it - yay!)

It was just amazing, something special that we will remember for a lifetime. I'm so glad we did it, and got to spend some quality time together, just the two of us. So without further adieu, some photos of our trip!

We saw the Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre at the West End!

Outside the Lyceum Theatre

Watching the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. We saw the queen twice on our visit!

A river cruise down the Thames
Picadilly Circus. Everything in London is gearing up for the Olympics next year


We visited the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam. It was cold and rainy so I bought myself a very warm souvenir to use!

Rotterdam was fabulous! Probably my favourite place of the trip.

Breakfast at our Rotterdam hotel - a feast!

Waiting for our water taxi to take us to dinner. I was freezing cold here but insistent that I wanted to wear my dress without tights or a jumper - oh silly me!

We attended a Euro 2012 qualifier football match at de Kuip. I'm not a football fan (prefer Aussie Rules anyday!), but Murray wanted to see a soccer match while we were in Europe, and it was great fun. The Dutch fans were incredible - everyone wore orange including us, and they sang songs and cheered all the way through.

One of the highlights of my trip was finding my Oma's house from when they lived in Rotterdam. My Oma, Opa and uncles moved to Australia in the 1950's, but lived all their lives before that in this house, and I feel very blessed to have been able to find it. The current owners of the house (who bought the house off of my Oma!) came out and once they heard our story, invited us to come in and take photos of the inside of the house. They were very excited to see us, and gave us some contact details of people who knew my Oma to take back to her. 

Onto Paris! (continued in next post)

1 comment:

  1. lovely pics Bec, SO happy to hear that you had such a great time.

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete