Sunday 25 September 2011

Plan C, D & E

On Tuesday I met with Dr T to review our failed IVF cycle and to talk about the future. I came with my own ideas of course, but I was really pleasantly surprised to see the empathy from Dr T about our situation. We didn't dwell on the results of last cycle too much, as there are too many variable that could have impacted the lack of embryo development, and we just don't have the funds anymore to finance anymore IVF treatment. We have been very lucky that my in-laws have paid for this cycle on their credit card, and we will slowly pay them back, otherwise we would not have had the opportunity to cycle. However, we have now reached the Medicare safety net, which means that any medical treatment we do for the remainder of the calendar year is significantly cheaper - up to 80% moreso than normal.

That being the case, we have decided to try something completely different, and attempt as many Clomid DIUI cycles as we can before the year is out. As I have never used Clomid before, it is possible I wont respond to the drug, or alternatively I respond too well and multiple follicles develop. IUI only has an 8-10% success rate at our clinic, however I feel that it is worth a shot, and considering the cost will work out to under $200 out of pocket for each attempt, it is good value to have at least some kind of shot at falling pregnant. We won't hang our hat on it working, but it is a shot, and I can't ask for more than that right now. I am taking the Clomid overseas with me in case I get my period early, so that we can squeeze as many cycles in as possible - hopefully 3 but more likely just 2 cycles. That's the short term plan at least.

There is a bigger picture though, and it something I was only vaguely aware of previously, and that is the public IVF clinic here in Perth. Apparently King Edward Memorial Hospital run a public IVF clinic, which we can go on the waiting list for. There is around an 18 month wait to be seen, but we will be able to start IVF immediately after that 18 month period, with no cost to us as they only charge the amount that Medicare give to them directly. 18 months is a long time, but it is not a lifetime away. It is doable, and it would take the pressure off of us financially, giving us a chance to recover, pay off some of our credit card debts that we have racked up, and perhaps allow me and Murray time to heal a bit. The timing works out to around March 2013. It's a long time, and I may take me some time to get used to taking a break for that period of time- by then we will have been trying for a baby for seven years. Seven. That's a scary number.

There is also a BMI limit for the public clinic, which means getting my BMI under 35. Tough, but with a year to 18 months of waiting time, I can do it steadily and on my own terms.

Who knows, maybe we will fall pregnant with the DUIU cycles. But I am preparing myself for the long wait. Maybe it will be good. Maybe it wont. Either way it's about our only option, so I willing to grab it with both hands.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bec

    I think DIUI and then Public IVF if need be is a great way to go. I've actually seen a few successful IUI after failed IVF stories. I hope you are the next one.

    Imogen
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete