Tuesday 7 June 2011

Day 6 - OHSS Prevention

Injections, blood test and ultrasound were done this morning, of course making me an hour late to work. Somehow, even with only 5 people on the ultrasound list in front of me, there was still an hour wait to be seen. My annoyance faded though once I was in the sonography room, as the nurse spent a lot of time completing my request to count and measure every follicle (usually at day six at this clinic they just do an estimate of how many follicles there are and only measure the lead follicle). As of this morning I have 12 follicles on my right side around 6-7mm and 10 follicles on my left side measuring 6-8mm. I'm assuming I will be coming back in on Thursday for another set of bloods and a scan. Just hoping that my E2 levels aren't too high at this early stage!

Speaking of high levels, for all my bravado about risking hyper-stimulation, I should clarify that I really don't want to end up with OHSS. It sucks. Really badly. Although the memory has faded, I remember feeling so out of control and hating how sick I felt. So I don't want to be reckless about any of this - no extra drugs, making sure I do exactly what the doctor says. But when it comes down to a choice between the chance of a baby and zero chance of a baby, I have to take the former, no matter the short term pain and discomfort. I just hope I am able to stick to that decision later on- or that I am even given the choice to continue.
I'm starting to trawl through different journals and look at studies that focus on OHSS to try and come up with a game plan for how I can get through to the egg collection successfully. Even if we end up with a freeze-all situation, I will be ecstatic, and happy to allow my body to calm down before proceeding with a frozen embryo transfer. Any advice or experience in this area would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck with your cycle. I hope you don't end up with OHSS again. No advice as I haven't had the displeasure of experiencing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossing my fingers that you avoid the mess of OHSS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck Bec! I hope you get lots of lovely eggs without the OHSS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or new RE said there are actually quite a few things you can do to help with OHSS and prevent it. The first is coasting. Have you heard of it? Check this out:

    http://www.goivf.com/about_us/breakthroughs-pc.php4

    and this:

    http://www.ivfnewsdirect.com/?p=467

    I wish our first clinic would've done it. Also the new RE recommends only one liter of Gatorade or other sport drink per day. I really hope you can do something so you and your eggs are safe. Also it would be optimal if you could do a fresh transfer. OHSS is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no advice honey but i am keeping everything crossed that this cycle is not only successful in the final outcome but that it's successful in sidestepping another case of OHSS.

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete