Monday 17 January 2011

Donated Blessings

Somebody I work with (let's call him P) has just approached me an offer for him to be our donor.
I don't work directly with P, however I often have to get information from him or consult on certain issues. He is a nice guy who has always helped me out with my work where he can.

P & I were chatting before Christmas about his little boy and how it took them 10 years and many IVF attempts to have him. I mentioned our AC journey and he was quite upbeat and positive about us having a child.

He just approached me at my desk and said that, he wasn't quite sure the right way to do this, but him and his wife had spoken about it and they would like to offer to be our sperm donor so we can have a child.

I am just blown away that somebody would offer to do that for us. We had always hoped that we would find a known donor, so that our child could grow up knowing their biology and information, rather than an anonymous donor where you can't find anything out until the child is 18. This is so out of the blue but so beautiful.

Murray and I have only briefly spoken on the phone, but he is very happy to go down this path. Although we are also happy with our current donor (matched through the clinic), the clinic donor is not suitable for IUI, and as mentioned above, we only have rudimentary information on his background. It would be awesome to known who the donor is, and have a photo for our child, for themt o be able to meet if all parties are happy to, that sort of thing.

As for the logistics - P is quite tall, medium build, dark blondish hair, no idea what colour eyes! More importantly he is very genuine, intelligent (he is an engineer), and a honest to goodness nice guy.

I feel so blessed right now just to have this option. I think the first thing we would like to do is sit down with both of them and just get to know them both a bit better and make sure they are really happy to do this. But I think that this could be a go-er for us!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Bec, that is the best news! That guy sounds so wonderful to do that for you. I really hope that this a sign of good things ahead for you. Kim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! What a truly generous couple!

    If you are able to get pg using him as a donor, are you okay with that, knowing that you see him often at work? I'm sure he understands the implications of being a donor and that he wouldn't have any rights to your child etc but I just wonder if it might make things a bit awkward or uncomfortable.

    Not trying to put you off in any way hun, just concerned because of the fact that there would be no anonimity if that makes sense.

    I'm really excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What an amazing and generous couple. I hope this is a sign of the amazing things to come for you and your husband. xx

    ReplyDelete