Tuesday 25 September 2007

There once was a nurse name Hilary...

OH. MY. GOD.
And I thought I had a fear of needles before! The nurse today took three goes to get my blood, I nearly passed out and vomited simultaneously, and I now have a nasty bruise on my arm, all of which I get to repeat on Saturday and then thrice-weekly... so totally my idea of fun.

Also had my ultrasound done. You would think that these people would be able to show a little empathy, coming in day 2 of your cycle (yes that means you have your period), to have what is affectionately termed 'dildo cam', to advise you on what to do. Nope, you have to ask and feel humiliated. It's not like it's a one-off event, every woman needs this ultrasound on day 2 to make sure everything is okay, grow a brain and tell us what to do!

So I have to start injections tomorrow, am freaking out a little over it all. I know I can do it, I have to do it, it's not like I have much of a choice!!! But I am worried about it. Am going to do them in the morning so I don't spend all day dreading them.

This is a video I found of what I'll have to do. God bless youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADyj_nLKqs

6 comments:

  1. You'll do fine with the injections. If you can manage to do it within 2 hours, you get a balloon and a congratulations from me for beating my first time.

    Relax! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nurses sometimes have communication problems too. It's like "I know you do this every day BUT I DO NOT. I require instructions and preparation and guidance. Open your mouth and talk to me."

    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca! I don't know if this will help with the ick-factor or not, but I am the most squeamish person EVER. Honest. And I have been giving myself injections for about 20 days now and I have yet to (A) vomit (B) pass out or (C) all of the above. If I can manage this, you can. Truly. Best of luck to you tomorrow and let us know how it goes! I'll be sending happy thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That You Tube video is very useful, I hope the injections don't hurt too much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing down your feelings about this. It makes me feel better about my similar feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came via the creme. Well the only thing worse than going in on day two of your period is to experience one of those dildocams for the first time when you are bleeding for a miscarriage. Yeah, the techs could be a little more understanding. Thanks for this post. It reminds us that there will always be new experiences for us.

    ReplyDelete