Sunday 4 July 2010

Depression and illness

It's been a rough couple of days. I have been very excited about our trip away but the black dog has reared its head, making the last few days quite unbearable. For the last two weeks I have had a range of illnesses, from the flu, to gastro, to a cold. I woke up at 4am Saturday morning vomiting which wasn't pretty. I don't know where all the illness has come from, but I know that it has a terrible affect on my mental state.

Whenever I get ill, I get depressed. I recognise that it is depression and that it is linked to feeling sick and that I will get over it soon but when you are in that moment, it is so hard to get yourself through. Yesterday I was getting really agitated and depressed, I basically slept on the couch from 3pm until midnight because sleeping is the one relief that I get from the constant anxious and agitated feelings.

I do feel a lot better today, still a little anxious, but on the whole so much better than I was yesterday. It's amazing how much of a link there is between my physical and mental condition.

When I get back from my holiday, it is time for me to get back into shape - start eating healthily and heading back to the gym. I have a fair idea that part of my illness at least has been caused by not looking after myself and bingeing on whatever food I want to eat. I am also considering going back up 20mg on my anti-depressants, just to get myself through this winter patch.

Anyway, I am starting to pack for my holiday, the fogginess in my head is clearing so I am going to enjoy my husband and puppy, watch some footy on tv and look forward to my holiday away.

5 comments:

  1. i think of you often, woman.

    very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your holiday gives you some much need relaxation and time away from "real life" so to speak Bec.

    I get the needing to look after yourself and get in shape comment too. It's around 3.5 months til I board a jetplane and wing my way overseas and I cannot go looking like I am, I feel ugh, so I'll join you on the kicking our arses into shape!

    Hope you have a fab time on holiday, can't wait to see the pics!

    *mwah*

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. Stress is linked to depression and weight gain. Buy or borrow a copy of The Gabriel Method, it explains the connection between stress and weight gain, you will have so many A-HA moments once you read it. When you have the book you can download the evening meditation track for free and I can post the morning meditation to you on a CD. Check out my blog for more info xoxo

    http://selfloveandhealing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that you're feeling so down (if you've visited my blog in the recent past, you can see that I've gone through a tough time as well). I really hope that your trip gives you a welcome distraction, you definitely need one!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon, physically and mentally, love. I'm sure a holiday with your man will do you WONDERS! I can't wait to read all about it.
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete