Wednesday 11 February 2009

Bushfires and community


I've been feeling quite down the last couple of days, mainly because of the bushfires that have been happening in Victoria. At the moment the death toll is at 181 and they are expecting it to rise once they get to all the houses that have been burnt out. There are still bushfires out of control right now. I am trying not to watch too much of the news coverage because it is so upsetting seing the burnt out cars and hearing the horrible stories of people being trapped and dying.
The Australian community have really come together though, so far over 30 million dollars has been raised, and that doesnt include corporate donations. Thousands of people have lost their houses, which is just heartbreaking - imagine losing all of your things, your wedding photos, your childrens toys, your memories? We have just put together a big collection of items to donate, Good Sammies are putting together a couple of shipping containers of clothes, toys, bedding etc to take to the victims.
It's the worst natural disaster in Australia's history, and the worst part is that they are saying that at least some of the fires were deliberately lit. I hope they catch the bastards and make them rot in jail for the rest of their lives.

2 comments:

  1. My heart is just breaking for all of those involved. I'm glad some good is coming of this. I'm thinking of you and everyone involved and sending you lots of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you while reading about the fires- it is so awful. I too hope the assholes are caught!!

    ReplyDelete