Saturday 10 January 2009

A new year, a new start

It's been a little while since my last blog entry. I think I just needed a little time out from everything, my own mind included. I'm back at work which is crazy-busy and it's been a tough first week to get through. I missed taking my anti-depressants a couple of days in a row and could definitely feel the effects of it.

We saw our friends from Melbourne last Friday, while they were over on their Christmas break. They are engaged and looking at getting married in January 2010 so we are starting to save for a trip to Melbourne then. Murray should be able to use his frequent flyer points for this trip, and it just so happens that January is the best shopping time in Melbourne - hoorah!

Another exciting thing that has happened over the last week is that we booked a holiday for July! In the midst of winter here, we will be going on a sojourn to Asia, spending 3 nights in Phuket and 4 in Singapore. We were looking at an airline website for a laugh, spotted a ridiculously cheap flight and decided to take the leap and book it on the spot! We have six months to plan a wonderful itinerary, which I imagine will include trips to Phi Phi Island where 'The Beach' was filmed, elephant trekking, shopping at Orchard Road and going to night safari at Singapore Zoo. I'm so excited to have something to look forward to!

I have made a couple of new years resolutions for 2009 which I'd like to share. The first is to get fit and healthy again and try and lose some weight before the end of the year. Ideally I'd love to lose another 10kg over the year, but I'm going to start with doing Boot Camp from Jan 19th which goes for six weeks and work my way from there.

The second is to learn another language.In high school I learnt the basics of Italian - just the numbers, how are you, what is your name etc, but I have decided that I want to expand on that, you know, just in case we get to go there one day! Apparently learning a second language helps with your memory, which is a nice aside as I seem to be losing mine more everyday.

The last of my resolutions is to finally start writing my book. Before I even started this blog, I had the seed of an idea in my head. I wanted to write a book about how hard this was. I had no idea at the time what was ahead of me, but I would have loved somebody to put something in my hands that gave me real understanding of what this was like and signposts to guide me through the perils of infertility and IVF. So today I started working on my book. If you're interested check out The Untitled Book Project. I figured instead of rehashing everything here, I'd keep a seperate journal of the book itself, but no doubt you will hear bits and pieces about it as we go along. My book will be Australia-focused in a lot of its text, specifically about finances, clinics and how we do things. But the essence of the book defies boundaries - how to cope through one of the hardest things you can go through, which I think all of us can identify with.

I'm inspired by Mel at Stirrup Queens, whose book "Navigating the land of IF" is being published this year. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. She is such a huge asset to the IF/ALI community - I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't received my few comments from fellow bloggers who had found me through the Lost and Found.

Oh, and the last thing that I did this week was re-enrol in uni. Just part-time but enough to get my brain thinking again! I am enrolled in the Bachelor of Business Administration course and my first unit is Business Information Technology, where I believe the main assignment will be to build my own webpage!

Not thinking about IVF or fertility right now. Maybe next month, but I just want to feel free for a little while, and not trapped by my fertility. I'm sure I will come back down to earth with a thud soon enough.

4 comments:

  1. i saw your FB status and i was so curious about your book project! what great resolutions and great projects for the year ahead.

    i completely understand about having to fill your brain with this that are not IF related. it's sometimes so hard to separate IF from the rest of one's life, but it's so necessary. if i didn't have my work and yoga to distract me i don't know what i'd do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You sound like your focus is really good right now.

    I know you will get back on the fertility train but for now - it's all about Rebecca!

    Books are GREAT fun to write. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Bec it is all very exciting - the holiday, uni, the book! Very happy for you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so much is going on in the world of Bec!

    Some great resolutions and I'm over the moon about your holiday in my neck of the woods. The Night safari is a lot of fun.

    Good luck with the boot camp. :)

    ReplyDelete